Friday, February 1, 2013

Channeling Paul Strand


I'm taking a History of Photography course at Northern Virginia Community College and we'd recently been looking at some of the work of Paul Strand.

I was in Richmond, Virginia the other day to see an exhibit of glass by Dale Chihuly.  It was a fabulous exhibit and well worth the trip.  Besides, the cafeteria there has really good barbecue!

On the grounds of the Virgina Museum of Fine Art is the Confederate Memorial Church.  As I was leaving the museum I drove by the church and noticed the wonderful shadow of the roof and the texture of the wood brought out by the angle of the sun.  I guess I was channeling Paul Strand because I immediately thought of some of his images.

I commented to my wife that I wanted to come back sometime and photograph the church.  She pointed out to me that there was a parking space right on the street and asked what I was waiting for.  To wit, this is the result.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice photograph, great lines and composition, and yes very Paul Srand like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It pleases me to be able to live with this image!

    Jerry Stevens

    ReplyDelete