Sunday, November 1, 2009

Back from Austria

While in Vienna, Austria recently I had occasion to see the major retrospective of Cy Twombly's work at the Museum Moderner Kunst (MUMOK). While I come out of a rather traditional background in the arts and photography in particular, I have always liked abstract and non-objective work as well.

A week later I was sitting in the Cafe Bazar in Salzburg (great coffee and apple strudel, but that's for another time) where they had a small table with crayons and poster paper set up for children to occupy themselves while adults chatted and partook. One of the pieces of "art" had been taped on the wall behind the table. I was struck that the only real difference between that and some of work I saw of Twombly's in Vienna was "Cy" at the bottom of the image.

Makes one wonder if the child who did the drawing is a genius or if Cy has returned to his childhood? I have heard that prodigies only exist in math and music. I guess I'll have to reevaluate the truth of that idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment